How to Participate
Participation in the y-dna part of the project is open to anyone who can submit a y-dna test from a male surnamed Dubbels or is believed to be related to a male named Dubbels through the paternal line. Since only males have y-chromosomes, only males can actually take the test. However, if a woman can get a male relative to take the test, she is free to get the results and administer the account.
We are also accepting individuals who take either the Family Tree DNA Family Finder test or the 23andme Relative Finder test and believe they are related through any line, although it will be up to you to check on your own results through your personal page, as the project administrators do not report on them.
We do not usually admit individuals who take only an MTDNA test, as the project is unlikely to be of any use to them or us.
Participation in the surname project itself is free. However, Y-DNA testing is a prerequisite, and there is a cost for this. The testing company for this project is Family Tree DNA. If you sign up for testing through the Dubbels surname group, the company normally provides a discount.
To sign up for DNA testing,
- Go to the Family Tree DNA website.
- On the right side of the page, locate the two text boxes below the word "search." The one on the left should say "equals" and the one on the right should be empty.
- Type the word "Dubbels" into the box on the right.
- Hit submit.
- You will be brought to a page containing all of the surname and geographic projects that contain individuals named "Dubbels."
- Click on the Dubbels surname project.
- At the bottom of the page, click on the "Order Now" button for the type of test you want to take. (A y-dna test of 67 markers or more is recommended).
- The site will then lead you through some forms that will allow you to put in information, such as your address and credit card number.
- After you complete the order, DNA testing kit will be sent to your home, containing instructions for use.
- Complete your test and mail back to Family Tree DNA.
- Family Tree DNA will contact you when your test results are ready in a few weeks.